A joint partnership between the City of Tehachapi, the Tehachapi Heritage League and Main Street Tehachapi culminated on May 7, 2018 with the installation of the new history walk plaques on S. Green Street in Downtown Tehachapi.
The walk starts on the northwest corner of Green Street and heads south with 16 plaques stretched out along the sidewalk for 2.5 blocks. There is a break in the middle at the Tehachapi Heritage League Museum and Errea House before the remaining eight plaques head north back towards Tehachapi Boulevard. Each stop tells a story about an important part of Tehachapi's history starting with its earliest settlers, the Kawaiisu and continuing through historic events such as the City's incorporation in 1909, the opening of the Tehachapi Loop, Tehachapi Municipal Airport, the 1952 Earthquake the beginnings of the wind energy industry and much more.
Each plaque was researched for information and outfitted with images courtesy of the Heritage League.